As a recent college graduate, you may feel both excited and overwhelmed as you embark on the next chapter of your life. Amidst the job hunting, networking, and adjusting to life after college, the need for reliable transportation is crucial. For many young adults, purchasing a car is a big decision, and the process can be intimidating. That’s where the Subaru College Graduate Program comes in. Designed specifically for recent college graduates, this program offers a smooth and stress-free car buying experience, providing you with exclusive benefits and financing options. In this blog post, we will explore the program’s eligibility criteria and benefits to help you determine if it’s the right fit for you.
Table of Contents
What is the Subaru College Graduate Program?
The Subaru College Graduate Program is an initiative by Subaru to help recent college graduates with their first vehicle purchase or lease. This program offers various financing options, competitive interest rates, and exclusive benefits tailored to the unique needs of recent graduates. With the College Graduate Program, Subaru aims to assist new grads in establishing a strong credit history while providing a reliable and safe vehicle that meets their transportation needs.
To be eligible for the Subaru College Graduate Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Graduation Status: You must have graduated within the past two years or be within six months of graduating from an accredited two- or four-year college, graduate school, or nursing school. Proof of graduation or upcoming graduation, such as a diploma or official transcripts, is required.
- Employment: You must have a job offer or be currently employed, with proof of income to demonstrate your ability to make monthly payments. In some cases, a signed and dated letter from your employer stating your employment status and income may suffice.
- Creditworthiness: As a first-time car buyer, you may not have an extensive credit history. However, you must be in good credit standing and have no derogatory marks on your credit report.
- Age and Residency: You must be at least 18 years old and a legal resident of the United States.
By participating in the Subaru College Graduate Program, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Competitive financing rates: Subaru offers exclusive financing rates for recent college graduates, making it easier to afford your first vehicle purchase.
- No co-signer required: While most first-time car buyers need a co-signer, the Subaru College Graduate Program allows you to obtain financing without one, provided you meet all the eligibility requirements.
- Flexible lease and loan terms: Subaru offers a range of lease and loan terms to suit your budget and preferences, ensuring a comfortable and affordable payment plan.
- Establishing credit history: By making timely payments on your vehicle loan or lease, you can build a strong credit history, which is crucial for future financial endeavors.
- Access to Subaru’s award-winning lineup: The program grants you access to Subaru’s renowned lineup of vehicles, known for their safety, reliability, and performance.
How to Apply for the Subaru College Graduate Program
Now that you know about the benefits and eligibility criteria of the Subaru College Graduate Program, it’s time to learn how to apply. The application process is designed to be simple and straightforward, ensuring a hassle-free experience for recent graduates. In this blog section, we’ll walk you through the application process and outline the necessary documentation you’ll need to provide.
Follow these steps to apply for the Subaru College Graduate Program:
Research and select your desired Subaru vehicle: Before applying, familiarize yourself with Subaru’s vehicle lineup and determine which model best suits your needs and preferences. Be sure to visit Subaru’s official website or your local Subaru dealer for more information.
- Locate a participating Subaru dealer: Not all Subaru dealers participate in the College Graduate Program. Use the dealer locator on Subaru’s official website to find a participating dealer near you.
- Schedule an appointment: Contact the participating dealer and schedule an appointment to discuss the College Graduate Program. Be prepared to provide information about your graduation status, employment, and creditworthiness.
- Complete the financing application: During your appointment, the dealer’s financing expert will guide you through the financing application. They will ask for personal information, including your name, address, Social Security number, and details about your employment and income.
- Submit the required documentation: Provide the necessary documents to prove your eligibility for the program (see Section 3.2 for a list of required documentation).
- Finalize the financing terms: Once your application is approved and your eligibility is confirmed, work with the dealer to finalize the financing terms, including the interest rate, loan or lease duration, and monthly payment.
- Sign the contract and take delivery of your new Subaru: After finalizing the financing terms, review and sign the contract. Congratulations, you’re now the proud owner or lessee of a new Subaru!
To apply for the Subaru College Graduate Program, you’ll need to provide the following documentation:
- Proof of graduation: A copy of your diploma or official transcripts from an accredited two- or four-year college, graduate school, or nursing school, showing that you have graduated within the past two years or will graduate within the next six months.
- Proof of employment and income: A pay stub, offer letter, or a signed and dated letter from your employer, stating your employment status, job title, and income. If you haven’t started your job yet, the offer letter or employer letter must indicate your start date.
- Proof of age and residency: A valid driver’s license or state-issued ID card, as well as a utility bill or lease agreement with your current address.
- Credit application: A completed credit application provided by the Subaru dealer, which includes your personal, employment, and income information.
Financing Your First Subaru: Exploring Options for College Graduates
As a recent college graduate, you might be wondering which financing option best suits your needs and budget. The Subaru College Graduate Program offers a range of financing options to help you make an informed decision. In this blog section, we’ll discuss Subaru Motors Finance and compare the pros and cons of leasing versus buying your first Subaru vehicle.
Subaru Motors Finance
Subaru Motors Finance is a collaboration between Subaru of America and JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. This partnership allows Subaru to offer competitive financing rates and a variety of loan and lease options tailored to recent college graduates.
Through Subaru Motors Finance, you can access:
- Competitive interest rates: As a recent graduate, you may qualify for exclusive financing rates through the Subaru College Graduate Program, making your first vehicle purchase or lease more affordable.
- Flexible loan terms: Subaru Motors Finance offers a variety of loan terms to accommodate your budget and preferences, ensuring a comfortable payment plan that meets your needs.
- Leasing options: If you prefer the flexibility of driving a new car every few years, Subaru Motors Finance provides leasing options through the College Graduate Program.
Leasing Vs. Buying
When deciding between leasing and buying your first Subaru, consider the following factors:
Pros of Leasing:
- Lower monthly payments: Leasing typically results in lower monthly payments compared to buying, as you’re only financing the vehicle’s depreciation during the lease term.
- Drive a new car more frequently: Leasing allows you to drive a new vehicle every few years, ensuring you always have access to the latest technology and safety features.
- Minimal upfront costs: Leasing often requires less money upfront, with lower down payment requirements and no sales tax on the entire vehicle price.
- Maintenance and warranty coverage: Most leased vehicles remain under warranty for the duration of the lease, reducing out-of-pocket expenses for repairs and maintenance.
Pros of Buying:
- Ownership: When you buy a car, you own it outright once the loan is paid off, providing long-term financial benefits and the freedom to sell or trade-in the vehicle at any time.
- No mileage restrictions: Unlike leasing, which usually imposes annual mileage limits, buying a car allows you to drive as much as you want without penalty.
- Customize your vehicle: Owning a car gives you the freedom to modify and personalize it to your taste, without restrictions imposed by a leasing agreement.
- Long-term cost savings: Although buying a car may result in higher monthly payments, it can be more cost-effective in the long run, especially if you plan to keep the vehicle for an extended period.
Ultimately, the decision to lease or buy your first Subaru depends on your personal preferences, budget, and driving habits. By understanding the advantages and disadvantages of each option, you can choose the financing solution that best meets your needs as a recent college graduate. The Subaru College Graduate Program, along with Subaru Motors Finance, ensures you have the necessary tools and resources to make an informed decision and start your post-college journey with a reliable vehicle.
Subaru Models Eligible for the College Graduate Program
As a recent college graduate, you may be curious about which Subaru models are available through the College Graduate Program. The good news is that the program offers access to Subaru’s entire lineup, providing you with a wide range of options to choose from based on your needs, preferences, and budget. From the iconic Outback to the sporty WRX, there’s a Subaru for every lifestyle.
Some popular Subaru models eligible for the College Graduate Program include:
- Subaru Impreza: A compact sedan or hatchback offering excellent fuel efficiency, advanced safety features, and Subaru’s signature all-wheel drive.
- Subaru Crosstrek: A versatile and stylish crossover, perfect for urban explorers and outdoor enthusiasts alike, with impressive ground clearance and all-wheel drive capabilities.
- Subaru Outback: A rugged yet refined wagon, boasting a spacious interior, off-road capabilities, and cutting-edge safety technology.
- Subaru Forester: A practical and comfortable SUV, featuring ample cargo space, excellent visibility, and advanced driver-assist features.
- Subaru Legacy: A sophisticated midsize sedan, offering a smooth ride, an upscale interior, and a suite of innovative safety features.
- Subaru WRX: A high-performance sedan, designed for driving enthusiasts with its turbocharged engine, sport-tuned suspension, and aggressive styling.
Subaru Commitment to Safety and Reliability
Subaru is renowned for its dedication to safety and reliability, making it an ideal choice for recent college graduates seeking a dependable vehicle. Here are some key aspects of Subaru’s commitment to safety and reliability:
- Subaru’s Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive: Standard on most models, Subaru’s symmetrical all-wheel drive system provides superior traction, stability, and control in various driving conditions, enhancing overall safety.
- EyeSight Driver Assist Technology: Available on most Subaru models, EyeSight is a suite of advanced safety features designed to monitor traffic movement, optimize cruise control, and warn drivers of potential collisions. Some of its features include adaptive cruise control, pre-collision braking, lane departure warning, and lane-keep assist.
- High-strength steel construction: Subaru vehicles are built using high-strength steel to provide enhanced durability, rigidity, and crash protection for occupants.
- Top safety ratings: Subaru consistently earns top safety ratings from organizations like the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), demonstrating the brand’s commitment to keeping drivers and passengers safe on the road.
- Long-lasting performance: According to a study by Experian Automotive, 97% of Subaru vehicles sold in the last ten years are still on the road today, showcasing the brand’s focus on producing reliable and long-lasting vehicles.
Caring for Your Subaru: Maintenance, Warranty, and the Power of Love
Maintaining Your Subaru
As a proud Subaru owner or lessee, it’s essential to keep your vehicle in optimal condition to ensure its safety, performance, and longevity. In this blog section, we’ll cover the Subaru maintenance schedule and warranty coverage, and explore the Subaru Love Promise and its impact on local communities.
Subaru Maintenance Schedule
Subaru recommends the following maintenance schedule for most models:
- Every 3,000 to 6,000 miles: Perform oil and filter changes, as well as tire rotations to promote even tire wear.
- Every 12,000 to 15,000 miles: Inspect and replace the engine air filter, cabin air filter, and brake pads as necessary.
- Every 30,000 miles: Replace transmission fluid, inspect the cooling system, and perform a comprehensive inspection of the vehicle’s components.
- Every 60,000 miles: Replace spark plugs, inspect the fuel system, and check the timing belt for wear (if applicable).
Keep in mind that maintenance intervals may vary depending on your specific Subaru model and driving conditions. Always refer to your owner’s manual for the recommended maintenance schedule for your vehicle.
Subaru Warranty Coverage
Subaru offers a comprehensive warranty to protect your investment and ensure peace of mind:
- New Vehicle Limited Warranty: This covers your vehicle for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first, and includes 24-hour roadside assistance.
- Powertrain Limited Warranty: Subaru’s powertrain warranty covers the engine, transmission, and all-wheel drive components for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.
- Rust Perforation Limited Warranty: This warranty covers any body sheet metal rust-through for five years, regardless of mileage.
- Wear Item Limited Warranty: This covers wear items such as brake pads, wiper blades, and clutch linings for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Subaru Love Promise and Community Involvement
The Subaru Love Promise is a commitment by Subaru and its dealers to make a positive impact on local communities and the world. Through various initiatives, Subaru supports causes in education, health, community involvement, and environmental conservation. As a Subaru owner, you’re not only driving a reliable and safe vehicle but also contributing to a brand that genuinely cares about making a difference.
Q: How often should I change the oil in my Subaru?
A: Subaru recommends changing the oil and filter every 3,000 to 6,000 miles, depending on the specific model and driving conditions. Consult your owner’s manual for the recommended oil change interval for your vehicle.
Q: Can I perform maintenance on my Subaru myself?
A: While some routine maintenance tasks can be performed by the owner, it’s advisable to have more complex procedures carried out by a trained Subaru technician at an authorized Subaru service center to ensure proper care and preserve warranty coverage.
Q: Are all Subaru models eligible for the College Graduate Program?
A: Yes, the College Graduate Program offers access to Subaru’s entire lineup, allowing you to choose the model that best suits your needs and preferences.
Q: How can I find a participating Subaru dealer for the College Graduate Program?
A: Use the dealer locator on Subaru’s official website to find a participating dealer near you. Not all Subaru dealers participate in the College Graduate Program, so it’s essential to confirm their participation before scheduling an appointment.
Q: Is the Subaru maintenance schedule the same for all models?
A: While the general maintenance schedule provided in this blog section applies to most Subaru models, specific maintenance intervals may vary depending on your particular model and driving conditions. Always refer to your owner’s manual for the recommended maintenance schedule tailored to your vehicle.
Q: How do I know when my vehicle needs maintenance?
A: Subaru models are equipped with maintenance reminders to alert you when it’s time for scheduled service. Additionally, you should familiarize yourself with the recommended maintenance intervals outlined in your owner’s manual and monitor your vehicle’s mileage to ensure timely maintenance.
Purchasing or leasing a Subaru through the College Graduate Program is an investment in a vehicle known for its safety, reliability, and performance. By adhering to the recommended maintenance schedule and understanding the warranty coverage, you can ensure your Subaru remains in top condition for years to come. Additionally, by choosing Subaru, you’re aligning yourself with a brand that values community involvement and strives to make the world a better place.